Flying non-UK registered sailplanes in the UK

Following publication of a recent CAA notice regarding flying aircraft registered in an EASA state, the BGA sought clarity on some points of detail for UK licensed pilots flying non-UK registered sailplanes in the UK.

It is the obligation of the State of Registration to determine who can fly an aircraft that is registered in that State.

In addition to the UK pilot licensing requirement, the State of Registration (eg Germany in the case of a D registered glider) may require a State of Registration validation of a UK pilot licence where the aircraft is flown in the UK. Owners of non-UK registered sailplanes are advised to check with their State of Registration.

More details of changes following the UK’s exit from the EU and EASA are published here.