Revalidating an EASA FCL FI(S) certificate – guidance
If an EASA FCL FI(S) certificate holder chooses to keep his or her certificate valid, there is a requirement to comply with the relevant detail in the Aircrew Regulation.
The relevant requirement is described at FCL.940.FI and for convenience reproduced below;
FCL.940.FI Revalidation and renewal
(a) For revalidation of an FI certificate the holder shall fulfil 2 of the following 3 requirements;
Requirement 1 – complete:
(iii) in the case of an FI(S), at least 30 hours or 60 take offs of flight instruction in sailplanes, powered sailplanes or TMG as FI or examiner during the period of validity of the certificate.
Requirement 2 – attend an instructor refresher seminar within the validity period of the FI certificate.
Requirement 3 – pass an assessment of competence (AoC) in accordance with FCL.935 within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the FI certificate.
(b) For each third revalidation in the case of an FI(S) holder (so effectively 9 years after the initial issue of the FI(S) certificate) the holder shall have to pass an assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.935.
(c) Renewal. If the FI certificate has lapsed, the appliant shall within a period of 12 months before renewal;
- attend an instructor refresher seminar
- pass an assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.935.
The CAA Paperwork (and please notify the BGA office too!)
- On confirming the revalidation requirements have been met, the instructor certificate on the applicants SPL or LAPL(S) is signed and validity dates are updated by an EASA FCL FIE(S)
- The CAA have to be notified of the revalidation by the FI(S) using their Form 1135, which is countersigned by an EASA FCL FIE(S)
- A BGA supplied template to assist instructors on completing the CAA Form 1135 is available here.
- The CAA’s Form 1135 is available here.
- There is no fee.
- Please send an email confirming that you have revalidated your FI(S) certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org which must include your full name, your club, the date of recent FI(S) certificate revalidation and the new date of FI(S) certificate expiry. The data enables the BGA to continue to support your needs.